40 years of Eco-Drive
In 1976, 40 years ago this year, CITIZEN created the world’s first analogue light-powered watch. We called the technology Eco-Drive. With Eco-Drive, our watches generate energy even from dim light and keep running for months even in the dark. We have created watches with multi-functions; watches that are smaller, thinner, and more beautiful; watches that everyone can relate to, even love. As a light-power pioneer, we continue to explore new possibilities for the future of the wristwatch and to craft timepieces that inspire people everywhere.
What is Eco-Drive?
Eco-Drive is a core CITIZEN technology that generates power even from dim light, enabling watches to run for over six months* even in the dark.
- ■No need to replace batteries
- Eco-Drive eliminates the trouble and expense of regularly replacing batteries.
- ■Generates energy even in dim light
- Eco-Drive generates energy not just in sunlight but in indoor light too. You don’t need to worry about your watch ever stopping.
- ■Runs for over six months in the dark
- One full charge is enough to keep most Eco-Drive models running for more than six months* in darkness. Some models can run for 10 years.
*Some models run for less than six months.